Letter: Upendra, February 13, 1968
My Guru Maharaja was in the 10th generation from Lord Chaitanya. We are 11th from Lord Chaitanya. The disciplic succession is as follows: 1. Sri Krishna, 2. Brahma, 3. Narada, 4. Vyasa, 5. Madhva, 6. Padmanabha, 7. Narahari, 8. Madhava, 9. Akshobhya, 10. Jayatirtha, 11. Jnanasindhu, 12. Purushottama, 13. Vidyanidhi, 14. Rajendra, 15. Jayadharma, 16. Purushottama, 17. Vyasatirtha, 18. Lakshmipati, 19. Madhavendra Puri, 20. Ishvara Puri (Advaita, Nityananda) 21. Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, 22. (Svarupa, Sanatana) Rupa, 23. (Jiva) Raghunath, 24. Krishna dasa, 25. Narottama, 26. Vishvanatha, 27. (Baladeva.) Jagannatha, 28. (Bhaktivinode) Gaura-Kishora, 29. Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati, Sri Barshabhanavidayitadas, 30. SRI SRIMAD BHAKTIVEDANTA.
7) Note: It is ONLY Srila Prabhupada that fulfills the WORLD ACHARYA position:
Madhya 25.9 How All the Residents of Varanasi Became Vaishnavas
“In Dvapara-yuga, devotees of Lord Vishnu and Krishna rendered devotional service according to the principles of pancharatrika. In this Age of Kali, the Supreme Personality of Godhead is worshiped simply by the chanting of His holy names. » Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura then comments: “Without being empowered by the direct potency of Lord Krishna to fulfill His desire and without being specifically favored by the Lord, NO HUMAN BEING CAN BECOME THE SPIRITUAL MASTER OF THE WHOLE WORLD. He certainly cannot succeed by mental concoction, which is not meant for devotees or religious people. Only an empowered personality can distribute the holy name of the Lord and enjoin all fallen souls to worship Krishna. By distributing the holy name of the Lord, he cleanses the hearts of the most fallen people; therefore he extinguishes the blazing fire of the material world. Not only that, he broadcasts the shining brightness of Krishna’s effulgence throughout the world. Such an acharya, or spiritual master, should be considered nondifferent from Krishna - that is, he should be considered the incarnation of Lord Krishna’s potency. Such a personality is krsnalingita-vigraha - that is, he is always embraced by the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krishna. Such a person is above the considerations of the varnashrama institution. HE IS THE GURU OR SPIRITUAL MASTER FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD, A DEVOTEE ON THE TOPMOST PLATFORM, THE MAHA-BHAGAVATA STAGE, AND A PARAMAHAMSA-THAKURA, A SPIRITUAL FORM ONLY FIT TO BE ADDRESSED AS PARAMAHAMSA OR THAKURA.”
8) Note: ONLY Srila Prabhupada will lay claim to be PROMINENT ACHARYA to be FOLLOWED because of his books, cds, tapes, disciples, temples so extensive over the world for FUTURE generations OF THOUSANDS OF YEARS:
Letter: Dayananda, April 12, 1968
Regarding parampara system: THERE IS NOTHING TO WONDER FOR BIG GAPS. Just like we belong to the Brahma Sampradaya, so we accept it from Krishna to Brahma, Brahma to Narada, Narada to Vyasadeva, Vyasadeva to Madhva and between Vyasadeva and Madhva there is a big gap. But it is sometimes said that Vyasadeva is still living, and Madhva was fortunate enough to meet him directly. In a similar way, we find in the Bhagavad-gita that the Gita was taught to the sun god, some millions of years ago, but Krishna has mentioned only three names in this parampara system--namely, Vivasvan, Manu, and Ikshvaku; and SO THESE GAPS DO NOT HAMPER FROM UNDERSTANDING THE PARAMPARA SYSTEM. WE HAVE TO PICK UP THE PROMINENT ACHARYAS, AND FOLLOW FROM HIM. There are many branches also from the parampara system, and it is not possible to record all the branches and sub-branches in the disciplic succession. WE HAVE TO PICK UP FROM THE AUTHORITY OF THE ACHARYA IN WHATEVER SAMPRADAYA WE BELONG TO.
9) Note: The Hare Krishna mantra is PURE DEVOTEE Srila Prabhupada’s Property to give and July 9th 1977 ORDER is simply discharge MANAGEMENT DUTY of giving conditioned souls Ritviks the privilege OF SERVICE to give Holy Name on BEHALF of PURE devotee Srila Prabhupada. The holy name is NOT conditioned souls property this is WHY it is given ON BEHALF of Srila Prabhupada:
Srimad Bhagavatam 7.9.42 Prahlada Pacifies Lord Narsimhadeva with Prayers
Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura also sings, tumi ta’ thakura, tomara kukura, baliya janaha more: “O my Lord, O Vaishnava, please consider me your dog.” One must become the dog of a Vaishnava, A PURE DEVOTEE, FOR A PURE DEVOTEE CAN DELIVER KRISHNA WITHOUT DIFFICULTY. KRSNA SE TOMARA, KRSNA DITE PARA. KRISHNA IS THE PROPERTY OF HIS PURE DEVOTEE, AND IF WE TAKE SHELTER OF A PURE DEVOTEE, HE CAN DELIVER KRISHNA VERY EASILY.
10) Note: The Ritvik System is SYSTEM OF MANAGEMENT so the issue of HOLY NAME to be given on BEHALF of Srila Prabhupada the PURE devotee MUST continue as per Srila Prabhupada’s ORDER: Other WILL Srila Prabhupada’s Will
2. Each temple will be an ISKCON property and will be managed by three executive directors. THE SYSTEM OF MANAGEMENT WILL CONTINUE AS IT IS NOW AND THERE IS NO NEED OF ANY CHANGE.
11) Note: ONE INITIATOR Srila Prabhupada. There may be many spiritual masters who instruct, but the initiator spiritual master is one. Holy Name is given ON BEHALF of Srila Prabhupada by Ritvik REPRESENTATIVES:
Krishna Book 80 The Meeting of Lord Krishna with Sudama Brahmana
Our next spiritual master is he who initiates us into transcendental knowledge, and he is to be worshiped as much as I am. The spiritual master may be more than one. The spiritual master who instructs the disciples about spiritual matters is called siksa-guru, and the spiritual master who initiates the disciple is called diksha-guru. Both of them are My representatives. THERE MAY BE MANY SPIRITUAL MASTERS WHO INSTRUCT, BUT THE INITIATOR SPIRITUAL MASTER IS ONE.
12) Note: ONLY the Mahabhagavata Srila Prabhupada is to be ACCEPTED as Diksha Guru otherwise it is 3rd OFFENSE in chanting:
Nectar of Devotion 8 Offenses to Be Avoided
The offenses against the chanting of the holy name are as follows:
(3) TO DISOBEY THE ORDERS OF THE SPIRITUAL MASTER.
Madhya 24.330 The Sixty-One Explanations of the Atmarama Verse
brahmano vai gurur nrnam
sarvesam eva lokanam
asau pujyo yatha harih
na guruh syad avaisnavah
((The guru MUST be situated on the topmost platform of devotional service. There are three classes of devotees, and the guru MUST be accepted from the topmost class. The first-class devotee is the spiritual master for all kinds of people. ….When one has attained the topmost position of maha-bhagavata, he is to be accepted as a guru and worshiped exactly like Hari, the Personality of Godhead. ONLY SUCH A PERSON IS ELIGIBLE TO OCCUPY THE POST OF A GURU.))
13) Note: OR HIS REPRESENTATIVE is the Ritvik Representative as per July 9th 1977 Order
Madhya 24.330 The Sixty-One Explanations of the Atmarama Verse
Similarly, a disciple’s qualifications must be observed by the spiritual master before he is accepted as a disciple. IN OUR KRISHNA CONSCIOUSNESS MOVEMENT, THE REQUIREMENT IS THAT ONE MUST BE PREPARED TO GIVE UP THE FOUR PILLARS OF SINFUL LIFE - ILLICIT SEX, MEAT-EATING, INTOXICATION AND GAMBLING. IN WESTERN COUNTRIES ESPECIALLY, WE FIRST OBSERVE WHETHER A POTENTIAL DISCIPLE IS PREPARED TO FOLLOW THE REGULATIVE PRINCIPLES. THEN HE IS GIVEN THE NAME OF A VAISHNAVA SERVANT AND INITIATED TO CHANT THE HARE KRISHNA MAHA-MANTRA, AT LEAST SIXTEEN ROUNDS DAILY. In this way the disciple renders devotional service under the guidance of the spiritual master OR HIS REPRESENTATIVE FOR AT LEAST SIX MONTHS TO A YEAR. HE IS THEN RECOMMENDED FOR A SECOND INITIATION, DURING WHICH A SACRED THREAD IS OFFERED AND THE DISCIPLE IS ACCEPTED AS A BONA FIDE BRAHMANA.
Note: Ritvik can be replaced if he has a fall down:
14) Conversations, May 28, 1977, Vrindavan
Tamala Krishna: Of course, IF SOMEONE HAS A FALLDOWN, just like in the past some GBC men have fallen down…
Prabhupada: HE SHOULD BE REPLACED.
Tamala Krishna: Then he should be replaced. But that’s a serious fall down, not some minor discrepancy.
Prabhupada: THEY MUST BE ALL IDEAL ACHARYA-LIKE. IN THE BEGINNING WE HAVE DONE FOR WORKING. Now we should be very cautious. ANYONE WHO IS DEVIATING, HE CAN BE REPLACED.
15) Note: The FORMALITY INITIATION of giving Holy Name on Behalf of Srila Prabhupada and fire sacrifice are just SYSTEM OF MANAGEMENT issues: That is not very important thing.
Conversation, October 16, 1976, Chandigarh
Interviewer: What is the procedure of the movement? Do you initiate yourself all the disciples or do your other disciples also do that?
Prabhupada: Well, initiation or no initiation, first thing is knowledge. (break) …knowledge. Initiation is formality. Just like you go to a school for knowledge, and admission is formality. That is not very important thing.
16) Srila Prabhupada gives Divya-jnana (DIKSHA). Divya means TRANSCENDENTAL and Jnana means KNOWLEDGE Hride means heart and Prokasito means revealed just as in prakasa – manifested Krishna becomes manifest in the heart of the Pure Devotee.
Lectures, July 11, 1976, New York
Prabhupada: Divya-jnana hrde prokasito. What is that divya-jnana? Divya-jnana is that we are all servant of Krishna, and our only business is to serve Krishna. Divya-jnana. This is divya-jnana. It is not difficult at all. Simply we have… We have become servant of so many things--servant of society, servant of community, servant of country, servant of wife, servant of children, servant of dog and so many. “Now let me become servant of Krishna.” This is divya-jnana. Diksha. Diksha means from this divya-jnana. That is di. And ksa means ksapayati, expands.
When at the stage of Madhyama Adhikari one is RECEPIENT of THAT Diksha in the HEART from SRILA PRABHUPADA he becomes a SERVANT OF KRISHNA. He relishes a particular mellow (Rasa) of his relationship with Krishna. This point HE SEES KRISHNA and HIS RELATIONSHIP (svarupa) is established. So it is not so CHEAP to be Diksha guru.