The Self Reliant Project at New Nandagram
The Self Reliant Community Project of East Lewis County
151 Anderson Rd. Glenoma WA
360-496-0058Billy and Anuttama Budd are happy to announce their successful relocation to East Lewis County. We’ve named our new farm “New Nandagram” (pronounced new non-duh-grom). It is the former Rainey Valley Farm located in Glenoma, 14 acres of pasture, barns, a covered arena, other buildings and a house. We will be continuing our project which we did in conjunction with the Self Reliant Community in Graham where we explore all kinds of aspects for living locally and self reliantly including:
- growing, processing and preserving our food without depending on petroleum driven machinery
- bee keeping
- using alternative energy (solar food dehydrators, wind generators, solar collectors etc.)
- building energy passive buildings using locally available materials (cordwood construction, timber framing etc.)
- exploring using natural remedies for curing physical ailments (herbal medicine, colloidal silver, acupressure, urine therapy etc.)
- using animal power to farm (oxen, draft horses)
- growing, harvesting and processing food grains including wheat, oats, barley and buckwheat
- home dairying including cheese making
- using alternative forms of currency including barter, life dollars etc.
- becoming conscious of God
We expect to soon be able to offer classes including cheese-making, woodworking, grain growing, food preservation and basket weaving in the near future.
Because we benefited so much from the community involvement with the Self Reliant Community of Graham, we will also be starting a Self Reliant Community of East Lewis County with the first meeting being held at our farm, 151 Anderson Rd., Glenoma on Wednesday January 18, 2012 at 6:30 pm. and continuing on the third Wednesday of the month thereafter. For more information please call: Billy and Anuttama Budd 360-496-0058
Letter from Anuttama
I just was looking at the site stats for my blog and noticed that I had 88 referrals from your site yesterday. Thanks!
It is looking like the world situation is heating up: the things going on seem to be at about the pre-WW2 level, so we’re likely looking at the war Srila Prabhupada predicted is going to happen soon. I’m not sure if you heard, but Krsna has kindly given Billy and me a really nice farm with over 15,000 sq. ft of buildings under roof. It is in a beautiful valley (population 1500) and has great soil and a high water table. Our well, which has served this house for 50 years is only 10′ deep. We are expecting to be in a position to offer rudimentary shelter to Prabhupada devotees who manage to escape the chaos. Unfortunately no one has joined us at this time and we don’t have any living facilities to offer. When things get bad, devotees might appreciate a stall in the barn, but most people need more comforts now. I was just letting you know this because we’ll probably need a good kirtan leader. We are asking any devotee who might come to bring a year’s supply of food (about 400 lbs of grains/beans) so that we can be sure to have at least the necessities. There are several hundred acres of top farmland very close that is currently a wildlife refuge that could be put into production in an emergency. And there are plenty of building materials in the area: trees and clay. Please give a thought to coming here when the war is imminent and keep in touch.